Selected poem no 2.

Module 9:  Once Upon a time
Posted by: Cleofe G. Coquilla
Source:
http://www.amyscott.com/poetry_+_emotion.htm
http://www.jrank.org/literature/pages/5280/Gabriel-Okara-(Gabriel-Inomotimi-Gbaingbain-Okara).html

This module intends to let the students:
1.Compare African society to the Philippine society by reading the poem
2.Internalize the content of the poem
3.Construct an essay about the piece



 Once Upon a Time
By: GABRIEL OKARA 

Once upon a time, son, 
they used to laugh with their hearts 
and laugh with their eyes: 
but now they only laugh with their teeth, 
while their ice-block-cold eyes 
search behind my shadow. 

There was a time indeed 
they used to shake hands with their hearts: 
but that’s gone, son. 
Now they shake hands without hearts: 
while their left hands search 
my empty pockets. 

‘Feel at home’! ‘Come again’: 
they say, and when I come 
again and feel 
at home, once, twice, 
there will be no thrice – 
for then I find doors shut on me. 

So I have learned many things, son. 
I have learned to wear many faces 
like dresses – homeface, 
officeface, streetface, hostface, 
cocktailface, with all their conforming smiles 
like a fixed portrait smile. 
And I have learned too 
to laugh with only my teeth 
and shake hands without my heart. 
I have also learned to say, ‘Goodbye’, 
when I mean ‘Good-riddance’; 
to say ‘Glad to meet you’, 
without being glad; and to say ‘It’s been 
nice talking to you’, after being bored. 

But believe me, son. 
I want to be what I used to be 
when I was like you. I want 
to unlearn all these muting things. 
Most of all, I want to relearn 
how to laugh, for my laugh in the mirror 
shows only my teeth like a snake’s bare fangs! 

So show me, son, 
how to laugh; show me how 
I used to laugh and smile 
once upon a time when I was like you. 


BIOGRAPHY Of the AUTHOR:




Gabriel Okara (Gabriel Inomotimi Gbaingbain Okara) is a Nigerian poet and novelist, born in Bumoundi in the Niger delta, educated at Government College, Umuahia, Yaba Higher College, and Northwestern University, USA. He became a book-binder, and wrote plays and features for broadcasting. Later, he was employed as Information Officer for the Eastern Nigerian Government Service. Together with Chinua Achebe, and at the time of the Nigerian Civil War, he was roving ambassador for Biafra's cause during part of 1969. His poetry appeared in Black Orpheus and major anthologies for many years, before the publication of his first collection, Fisherman's Invocation (1978; Commonwealth Poetry Prize, 1979), which is partly based on the Ijaw oral tradition. The Voice (1964), a short novel which experiments with rendering Ijaw speech patterns into English, made a great impact in its depiction of the doomed ‘hero’ Okolo, a charismatic and prophetic figure, undergoing Kafkaesque trials in his quest for truth and integrity (it) in the modern world.

Assessment:
1. Who is talking in the poem?
2. Who do you think is the son mentioned in the poem?
3. Explain the second stanza and its implication to the society.
4. How do African society differ from the Philippine society?
5. Summarize the thought of the poem.
6. Make an essay about the piece.




  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment